The Aberdare Urban District Council was established in 1894 and consisted of the ancient parish of Aberdare. It took over the former responsibilities of the Aberdare Local Board of Health which had been in place since the 1850s. The responsibilities of the new authority included public health, sanitation, roads and public works generally. The authority consisted of the five wards of Aberaman (also known as No. 5 Ward), Blaengwawr (also known as No. 4 Ward), Gadlys (also known as No. 2 Ward), Llwydcoed (also known as No. 1 Ward), and the Town Ward (also known as No. 3 Ward). Initially, each ward had three members, with one member was elected from each ward on an annual basis after the initial election of 1894. In 1904 an additional member was granted to each ward, resulting in the election of ten members, out of a total of 27. As the population of the Urban District continued to grow, an additional seven seats were created. Three of these were in the Aberaman Ward and one each in the other four wards. 1919 Aberdare Urban District Council election. At the first election held following the Great War, two candidates were elected from each of the five wards. There were contests in four of the five wards. There were no changes to the political complexion of the council following the results. 1920 Aberdare Urban District Council election. A total of twelve candidates were to be elected; four in the Aberaman ward and two in each of the other wards. Llwydcoed ward was uncontested and the retiring members returned unopposed. Labour won two setas at Gadlys; the successful candidates included Rose Davies who became the first woman member of the council. In contrast, the party lost a seat in Aberaman. 1921 Aberdare Urban District Council election. One member was to be returned for each ward; this was the first election for the retiring members to contest given that the 1915 and 1918 elections had not been held. All members were returned unoppposed.